Caffeine and Pregnancy
Caffeine can be viewed as a good, bad or neutral factor in your healthy pregnancy.
- Caffeine can help migraine or "vascular" headaches of pregnancy
- Caffeine can help to prevent constipation by its laxative effect
- Caffeine can help fight the "blues".
- Caffeine is energizing.
- Excessive caffeine consumption has been implicated in increased miscarriage rates
- Excessive caffeine consumption has been implicated in increased premature labor
- Excessive caffeine consumption has been implicated in low birth weight
- Excessive caffeine consumption by mothers at term has been associated with withdrawal symptoms in newborns.
- Stopping caffeine abruptly can cause migraine-type withdrawal headaches, restlessness and irritability.
- Caffeine acts as a mild fluid pill, causing you to urinate out more liquids than you take in. The final result, especially in Colorado, can be worsening dehydration.
- Caffeine interfered with the body's retention of adequate calcium, needed for the development of your baby's bones.
- Caffeine can cause sleeplessness, irregular heartbeat and muscle spasm.
- Excessive caffeine can interfere with concentration.
- Excessive caffeine consumption seems to be related to an irregular fetal heartbeat.
- Caffeine has not been implicated in birth defects
- Small amounts of caffeine consumption aren't implicated in premature labor or low birth weight
- The evidence of the association of caffeine with miscarriage is controversial and may be over-stated.
- Although caffeine is a mild stimulant, it is not addictive.
- Limit caffeine to 300 mg or less/daily-that's a maximum of 3-4 cups of coffee daily.
- Wean off of caffeine slowly in the first trimester or better yet before you conceive.
- Don't stop caffeine abruptly, instead reduce your intake of caffeine over 7-10 days.
- Increase your water intake when consuming caffeine.
Caffeine Content of Common Foods and Beverages
|Coffee - Brewed
|Cappuccino / Latte / Mocha - Starbucks
|Soda - Orange, Root Beer, Mountain Dew
|Soda - Sprite, Sierra Mist
|Hot Cocoa, Chocolate
|Tea - Green
|Tea - Brewed
|Hershey's Chocolate Bar
||1.55 oz bar